On March 16, 1950 it was announced that “The Holiness of our Lord has been pleased to erect the Apostolic Internunciature in the United States of Indonesia, located in Jakarta, deigning at the same time to appoint as Apostolic Internuncio His Excellency Mgr Georges de Jonghe d’Ardoye, titular Archbishop of Misthia” (L’Osservatore Romano, March 17, 1950).
The new building of the Apostolic Nunciature was inaugurated on June 1, 1966. The construction of the new building of the Papal Representation had been initiated in October 1964 by Archbishop De Liva and was carried out in accordance with plans drawn up by the German architect Hermann Bohnenkamp. The formal inauguration of the new building took place on June 29, 1966, at which President Sukarno was present. On December 7, 1966 the Apostolic Internunciature in Indonesia was elevated to the rank of Apostolic Nunciature. On the same date, Archbishop Salvatore Pappalardo was appointed Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Indonesia.
From 2007 to 2010, extensive restoration and extension works were carried out in the residence of the Apostolic Nunciature. On October 11, 2009 Archbishop Leopoldo Girelli inaugurated the new chapel dedicated to the Twelve Apostles.